EMUG’S Presents at ACEM ASM 2017 Essentials of Focused Lung Ultrasound in the ED: ABC’s of Lung Ultrasound
Dr Luke Phillips
Point of care ultrasound in the ED is an important tool in the diagnosis and management of patients with acute dyspnoea. It can be performed at the bedside, reduce ionising radiation and be used to implement and monitor treatment within the ED. Lung ultrasound has a higher diagnostic accuracy than physical examination and chest radiography combined and is useful in the diagnosis of pneumothorax, acute interstitial syndromes, consolidation/pneumonia and pleural effusions. This talk will focus on the interpretation of lung ultrasound profiles and offer a way of integrating this into your clinical practice through some case based discussions.
References (Dropbox Link)
- Miller A. Practical Approach to Lung Ultrasound. BJA Education 16 (2): 39–45.
- Zanobetti M, Scorpiniti M, Gigli C, Nazerian P, Vanni S, Innocenti F, Stefanone V, Savinelli C, Coppa A, Bigiarini S, Caldi F, Tassinari I, Conti A, Grifoni S, Pini R. Point of Care Ultrasonography for Evaluation of Acute Dyspnea in the ED. Chest 151 (6): 1295-1301
- Lichtenstein D. Lung ultrasound in the critically ill. Annals of Intensive Care 4(1).
- Volpicelli, G., Elbarbary, M., Blaivas, M., Lichtenstein, D., Mathis, G., Kirkpatrick, A., Melniker, L., Gargani, L., Noble, V., Via, G., Dean, A., Tsung, J., Soldati, G., Copetti, R., Bouhemad, B., Reissig, A., Agricola, E., Rouby, J., Arbelot, C., Liteplo, A., Sargsyan, A., Silva, F., Hoppmann, R., Breitkreutz, R., Seibel, A., Neri, L., Storti, E. and Petrovic, T. International evidence-based recommendations for point-of-care lung ultrasound. Intensive Care Medicine 38(4): 577-591.
- Williamson, J., Grainge, C., Parameswaran, A. and Twaddell, S. (2017). Thoracic Ultrasound: What Non-radiologists Need to Know. Current Pulmonology Reports, 6(1), pp.39-47.
- Martindale, J., Wakai, A., Collins, S., Levy, P., Diercks, D., Hiestand, B., Fermann, G., deSouza, I. and Sinert, R. (2016). Diagnosing Acute Heart Failure in the Emergency Department: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Academic Emergency Medicine, 23(3), pp.223-242.
- Lee, F. (2016). Lung ultrasound—a primary survey of the acutely dyspneic patient. Journal of Intensive Care, 4(1).
- Wimalasena, Y., Kocierz, L., Strong, D., Watterson, J. and Burns, B. (2017). Lung ultrasound: a useful tool in the assessment of the dyspnoeic patient in the emergency department. Fact or fiction?. Emergency Medicine Journal, pp.emermed-2016-205937.
- 5minSono – Pulmonary Videos
- Ultrasound Podcast – Lung Collection
- POCUS Geelong – A Lines, B Lines & Pleural Effusions
- NUEM Blog – Lung Ultrasound